Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ten Days and Counting

The balance is most certainly out of whack!  I have been 10 days without exerting myself beyond a simple walk around the block.  Call it a sign or just the symptom of going too hard, no matter what it is, I don't like it.  I miss feeling healthy, miss getting out, miss having the energy.  So what can I take away from a prolonged bout of sickness and lack of exercise?

1) I have the best wife in the world.  Either that or she really doesn't like my company.  Regardless, for the last few days, there has been a standing order for me to get to bed and get some sleep!  After a few of these nights, it is clear the lack of good quality sleep may have been a key factor in my recent mini health catastrophe.

2) Family vs. Fitness:  The mighty warriors on the U8 boys soccer team roared onto the field last Saturday for a great match.  There is no way their coach would not have been on the sideline cheering them on, dusting off scraped knees, and giving ample high-fives.  Following the game with Sunday's fifth birthday party and the Rainbow ABC theme was a non-option for my attendance.  These events may have prolonged my recovery, but they bettered my existence!

3) I can't remember who it was, but at some point over the last few years a medical provider either told my wife or me that, "it's time to either get better or stay hurt."  Doesn't give you a lot of hope to hear that as your dose of medical advice.  That is until you understand the statement.  We are all blessed with a wonderful brain living between our ears.  For as powerful as this tool is, it can also work against us and debilitate our road to recovery.  Positive thoughts have positive energy!

Maybe I needed to get a dose of bad health to get things back in perspective.  Work doesn't seem to be slowing down.  The demands of the family are every growing.  I am itching to get back on the road.  Time to decide whether it's time to getter better or time to stay sick?  Hopefully the road ahead will be straight enough to allow me to keep on eye on the balance of things.

One foot in front of the other, repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment